The Different Ways to Get a Green Card

The majority of the calls that we get are for foreign nationals looking for a way to obtain a green card. They have absolutely no idea where to start their research. We have listed below many of the ways to obtain a green card.

Please give us a call if you think one or more of these options apply to you.

  1. Employer: you must have a job opportunity in the U.S.
  2. Family: you have a qualifying family member in the U.S.
  3. Diversity Visa (DV): You must prove that you have a high school diploma. Each year there are 50,000 diversity visas available (known as green card lottery)
  4. Investment Visa: Can you invest $500,000 to $1,000,000 in the U.S. Each year there are a specific number of EB-5 visas available for investors
  5. Cuban Adjustment Act (CAA): You must prove Cuban citizenship (includes Cuban citizen parents) and physical presence in the U.S. for at least one year
  6. Asylum: You must prove that you have been physically present in the U.S. in asylee status
  7. U visa: You must prove physical presence in the U.S. for at least three (3) years in U status
  8. Violence Against Women Act: You can apply for a green card at the same time you apply for VAWA status if your priority date is current or if you are an immediate relative of your abuser
  9. Registry: You must prove that you have been present in the U.S. since January 1, 1972 and have maintained physical presence and continuous residency
  10. S Visa: You must prove that you have assisted law enforcement as a witness or informant

As of yet, Temporary Protected Status (TPS) and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) does not lead to a green card.

Although we have listed several ways to get a green card, each option has its own set of qualifying criteria. For instance, for some of the options, you must have been “inspected and admitted”. For others, you must have “maintained lawful presence.”

We would be happy to meet with you and discuss your options. Please do not let one disqualifying criteria rule out any option. For instance, if you entered without being inspected (EWI), or have an old removal order, or have a criminal conviction, there are solutions. You never know unless you try, and trying starts with making a call.

We offer a free case evaluation by phone. We are available Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 8:00 pm and Saturday from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. In-person consultations are by appointment only.  Please call our office at 301.529.1912 or click here to contact us. Please be sure to provide a timeline of events along with details of your entire immigration history.2020