Asylum, Humanitarian Parole, and Temporary Protected Status (TPS)


Asylum, Humanitarian Parole, and Temporary Protected Status (TPS)

U.S. immigration law allows for many forms of humanitarian relief.

Asylum and related relief is available to those fleeing persecution by the government of their home country or a group that their home government cannot control. The persecution must be because of race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group. With limited exceptions, individuals must apply for asylum within one year of their arrival to the United States. Once granted asylum, asylees may petition for spouses and children to join them in the U.S. and can apply for permanent residence status after one year.

Victims of domestic abuse may be eligible to “Self-petition” for permanent residence under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) or apply for relief in the form of a U visa (if there is a qualifying crime), which can eventually lead to permanent residence. T visas are also available for victims of human trafficking.

Humanitarian Parole is a form of parole and is usually sought when an individual is in another country, another country and needs to enter the U.S. for a medical reason, some other emergency or compelling situation. It is possible to ask for re-parole prior to the expiration date of the parole. It is granted sparingly and is not used to circumvent the standard immigration procedures.

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) affords temporary lawful presence to eligible individuals already present in the U.S. whose countries have been impacted by natural or man-made disasters. As of August, 2015, countries designated for TPS include El Salvador, Guinea, Haiti, Honduras, Liberia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, and Syria.

Taking into account the sensitive nature of our client’s situation, we patiently go through a detailed timeline with the client to understand the individual’s factual history. We then conduct in-depth question and answer sessions to gather specific details that will bolster the case. On occasion, we have contacted prosecutors or other government agencies to certify the U Visa’s Form I-918, Supplement B.

Contact Us

Please give us a call to discuss your case. In-person consultations are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm and Saturdays from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Please call our office at 301-529-1912 , text us, submit a request for consultation form below.

Please be sure to provide a timeline of events along with details of your entire immigration history.